Dear Brownsville Alumni,
It's been a very busy year for the BAS Alumni Association and our mission statement has been redefined since its inception in 2010. Our present mission statement is as follows:
- To enhance and preserve the image, prestige, and traditions of Brownsville Area School District (BASD) that includes the Brownsville Area Schools (BAS) Brownsville, Redstone, and Brashear high schools.
- To honor outstanding achievements and contributions by BAS graduates by promoting and supporting the annual Distinguished Alumni Awards (DAA).
- To promote and fund the BASD scholarship program for deserving qualified BASD graduating seniors.
- To increase paid membership (buy a brick and become a lifetime member) and provide a social online community for all alumni through our BAS blog and Face Book club/page.
- To construct the BAS “Alumni Courtyard” between the BASD middle and high school area as a beautiful place paving our way to the future that will be viewed by hundreds of alumni/students each year for decades to come.
- To become involved in those endeavors that will benefit BASD, BAS alumni association and the Brownsville community, i.e. – the 2014 “Power of Music” (POM) Summer Festival.
- To develop and promote fund raising tactics to support the overall operation of our non-profit organization, i.e. – selling BAS T-shirts and annual pool Steeler tickets.
Our major objectives for this year include the following:
1. Present a $500 scholarship to a deserving graduating BASD senior on May 29, 2014.
2. Select five (5) distinguished alumni in June 2014 for an award for distinguished service in their career, community or to society and/or bringing fame or recognition to the BASD. Applications may be filled out by paid alumni members for the selection of a DAA and is due in June 2014. A DAA awards banquet will be held during September and tickets will be on sale to attend this banquet (more in depth info will be provided soon). A list of prior DAA recipients can be viewed by downloading the DAA document at this link. Download DAA as of 2010
3. Another very important objective of our association is the ongoing construction of our BAS Alumni Courtyard at the BASD high school. As of this date, there are a total of 170 bricks for the courtyard and Lenora is presently working on Order #6 for the next purchase of bricks. (She only has an order for 8 bricks thus far and does not submit an order unless she has 20 or more purchased). So please “buy a brick” now that can be laid in the courtyard during this summer. With a brick purchase you automatically become a lifetime member of the Alumni Association.
Click on this BAS blog link to get more info on helping us pave the courtyard: http://tweety1216.typepad.com/bhs/2014/02/help-us-pave.html
Go to our BAS Brick website and design your brick: Click here: BRICK WEBSITE
4. In addition, BAS has been asked to assume the responsibility of the "Music on the Mon" community summer program, now called "Power of Music" (POM) which is co-chaired by Lenora Byrd, BAS Vice President and Annette Buffer. This summer program will kick off on May 18th at the Nemacolin Castle and will continue every weekend throughout the summer. A total of 14 concerts are scheduled and talented local bands will be performing. Bring your chair/blanket and eat, drink, dance, socialize and listen to some great music during our festival. Food/craft vendors will be at our outdoor sites.
You can find the complete Schedule of Events here in our BAS FB club and here at our blog at this link: http://tweety1216.typepad.com/bhs/2014/05/pom-schedule-of-musical-events.html
Don't miss out on these terrific, fun-filled summer festival concerts.
All the above is possible because of alumni who volunteer their time and talents to the BAS board and their committees. On a personal note, I was recruited as a board member eight years ago, and although the members through the years have been dedicated and outstanding, the current board and committee members are unparalleled. They never accept "can't or "no", and they view all obstacles as new opportunities. One might say our motto is "Excellence is our minimum standard".
You can support our efforts by buying a brick and becoming a lifetime member. We also have very attractive tee shirts and sweatshirts for sale properly designed for BAS alumni. Your brick, shirt purchase and/or donation will punctuate your ongoing support for our alma mater.
Thank you for your past support and consideration to join the BAS Alumni Association.