Dear Brownsville Area Schools Alumni,
With the beginning of the new year, I believe it is propitious to review the BAS activities of the past year. We had an extremely busy 2014 and a review of all the activities follows:
1) First ever high school scholarship for $500 was awarded in May.
2) Our Alumni Courtyard established in 2013 has over 160 bricks installed. Sale of engraved bricks continued to increase this year.
3) What was previously the “Music on the Mon” was renamed ‘Power of Music (POM)” and co-chaired by our VP Lenora Byrd. 15 free concerts performed by talented local musicians were conducted for our community at the West Brownsville American Legion, Nemacolin Castle and the Sons of Italy during the months of May-August 2014.
4) Sales increased of very attractive BAS Alumni T-shirts and sweat shirts.
5) Our 11th annual BAS Distinguished Alumni Award Banquet recognizing six alumni was conducted in September with an attendance of over 80 alumni and friends.
6) Our alumni board decreased from 15 to 10 active members and we are desperately seeking new alumni members to join in our efforts to make 2015 a prosperous year for our on-going activities.
In summary, we have had a very busy and productive year.
Additionally, I have resigned my position as president of the BAS Alumni Board in accordance with our By-law guidelines. I shall, however, remain on the board in an active capacity. The newly elected President is our former VP, Lenora Byrd.
My tenure as President had been a personal and rewarding experience. I have had the pleasure of working with a very dedicated group of Alumni Board members and grateful to all of them. Further, I am confident we won’t “miss a beat” with Lenora, who behind the scenes, has been the real driving force for many years. Congratulations, Lenora and I look forward to working with you in pursuit of even loftier goals for the BAS Alumni Association.
Please continue to display your loyalty and support of the BAS Alumni Association by purchasing an engraved brick, which qualifies you as a lifetime member and also by buying and wearing an attractive t-shirt and/or sweat shirt. Please consider joining the association as a board member or simply volunteering to serve on one of our many committees.
Thank you for your past support and I look forward to a very fruitful and productive 2015.